Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Summer Road Trip


Some people love winter and the colder days and snow that season holds. Others love autumn with it's crisp air and beautiful natural colors of golds and reds and violets hanging from trees. Personally, I love both spring and summer. Spring because I enjoy the splendor of sweet fragrances and blooming trees. Summer because I love the sun and warmer days and how everything seems awake all at once.




Summer I adore because it's the perfect excuse to eat ice cream all day long sitting on my imaginary swinging bench on my imaginary covered porch in my imaginary Victorianesque home out in the country.




Is it okay to claim I love summer also, because it means no more getting up early to get my kids ready for school? Just wondering.




This summer I have an ambitious road trip I am undertaking with the family and dog. We are visiting some places we have never been and likely wont be to for a long time if ever again. We will be traveling to West Texas to Monahans Sandhills State Park and to western New Mexico to Rockhound State Park (yes, I am a rock and fossil junkie). From there we really haven't planned our trip, except we think we'd like to go to the Grand Canyon and eventually we have to make it to central Utah for my brother-in-law's wedding reception.

So, do you have any suggestions on places to visit while in New Mexico, Arizona and Utah? I'd like to know because quite frankly I am out of ideas after Flagstaff.

9 Comments:

Mr Spooky said...

I love winter!! But I really love your photographs!!!

Carol @SheLives said...

I love New Mexico! I'm not much of a rock hound, though. I'm more of a catch-the-cool-hippie-shopping kinda gal. Lots of that in Taos.

Sounds like a great road trip ahead for you!

Rob and Tiff said...

Ok I hope it's not too strange for me to be commenting on your blog. I've been lurking and watching your site for a little bit and you asked for suggestions so here I am revealing myself.

I don't know of too many places in Arizona or New Mexico but if you're coming from the Southern end of Utah you could stop at Lake Powell for a day and enjoy the water or go explore the dam. Then you could go explore Zion canyon. It has a lot of great hikes and tons of rocks. There's also Moab. Moab has a bunch of great hikes and giant rocks to look at and climb on.

Hope this helps, even if it's just a little bit.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Mr Spooky! Yeah you're back! I've missed you as I am sure others have as well! Make sure you get that wife of your to blog...she sure is fun to read. (And you too of course.)

Carol, I wonder if there are any hippie-shopping places in Tombstone. Husband's coworker is begging my husband to pick up a souvinir in Tombstone for him. This should be interesting...

Rob and Tiff, Thanks for delurking! I really want to stop at Lake Powell. I have been considering it as I have been to Moab (he he that is where I almost got my first ticket) and Zions (not a good idea to hike when you're five months pregnant). Isnt Lake Powell where parts of Planet of the Apes was filmed?

Screwed Up Texan said...

PS, I think I just made it seem like I am pregnant. So if anyone is wondering...no I am not. I meant pregnant from 7 years ago. Whew! Glad I got that out of the way.

Rob and Tiff said...

Oh you totally had me thinking you were pregnant! Good thing you clarified. I'm not sure if Planet of the Apes was filmed at Lake Powell or not but I guess it would work for that movie. I'm going to have to watch it now to see if I recognize anything. Definitely stop at the lake to cool off. Sigh... I miss the lake. Can I come on your road trip with you?

Tiff

Becky said...

How old are your boys? Carlsbad Caverns is a great place to visit too.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Tiff, I really am craving a nice dip in the water right now and I am sure I'll be wanting it even more after spending three days in West Texas and souther NM and AZ. It is going to be hot! Husband is now thinking he wants to meet up in Tropic with a mission pal. We'll see...

Becky, I just had a friend that went to Carlsbad. I think it'd be fun.

TJ Gilmore said...

You could try the painted desert and petrified forest in Arizona not too far out of the way. Four Corners is worth getting a picture of. Flagstaff is nice, Whisky Row in Prescott is awesome. Plenty of great art in Alberquerque, and lots of cool roadside stands with native american stuff all along the road to the canyon. Canyon de Chelly is also a great stop in Arizona. There are other cool things but it depends on the route you're taking.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin