Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Screwed Up: The Incident

A True Story
By Allie Van Wagoner


To catch up on missed chapters, start here.

I ran as fast and as far as I could. I made it twenty feet before a security guard stopped me in my tracks.

"Sit down here! Where are you going?" he demanded.

Honestly, I was headed out the front doors. I was done with this place and the people inside. I did not care if I didn’t make it a week on my own, I just wanted out of there.

He made me sit on the bench outside the head counselor's office. I was crying in misery. I hated that woman in the game room. I kept thinking over and over in my mind what just happened. I basically called all those kids in the game room--the same kids I had to sleep with--losers and they all heard me. I just knew someone was going to beat me up, have a little fun with me. I hated that place.

The head counselor called me into his office.

"What just happened? Why did you yell at Miss Rosie?"

"Because she told everyone that I am a run away and I am not. I am not a runaway!" I was crying again.

"Well, you can’t react like that to her. Go back outside and sit on the bench again."

I did what he told me to do and then I saw him walk quietly to the game room. I could see him talking with Miss Rosie. I concluded she was lying to him…all grown ups lie after all.

Miss Rosie came out of the game room and starting walking towards me. I was terrified.

"I'm sorry—I thought you were a run away. Most of the kids here are. It is very rare that we get a child here that is in your situation," she apologized.

I didn’t answer her. I didn’t tell her it was okay. I wasn’t okay. No one beat me up that night. No one even talked about the incident. The next evening, I went back to the game room and sat. I didn’t really want to talk to anyone. That's when one of the girls came into the room and sat down next to me. She turned to me a whispered:

"Someone's here to take you away,"

A True Story
By Allie Van Wagoner

2 Comments:

Granny Nanny said...

OMG! What a place to leave me hanging.....My mind is racing through hundreds of scenarios to round off this chapter!

Chef E said...

Man...I am also hanging! What a terrible thing to go through...I grew up in a home with an alcoholic father, and a mentally ill mom who eventually was hospitalized, so I raised myself...

Having my own children and being able to be there for them has been so important for me...I cry, but alone...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin