Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Savory Crawdad Monica

If you are just now finding this post and didn't read how to prepare crawdads, please read this little introduction. That post will also explain why I use the term "crawdad" and "crawdaddies" instead of crawfish and mudbug. Just so you know.

Interesting fact: Just like crawdads are in the crustacean family, so are rolley pollies. Did you know rolley pollies breathe with gills?

Moving along...

After you've pinched the tails and removed the meat, you'll need to devein the crawdad tails like you would shrimp. It is actually quite easy: Just grab the little stringy thing and pull it straight back. Tadah! The crawdad is deveined.


Two pounds of uncooked crawdads will equal this much meat. Not a whole lot, but perfect for the following recipe I adapted from Real Cajun Recipe's Crawfish Monica. Go there for even more delicious Cajun recipes!

Screwed Up Texan's Crawdad Monica

1-2 pounds of cooked crawdad tail meat
1 pound angel hair pasta (you can use any kind of pasta you prefer)
3 T real butter (but who's really counting)
1 pint or so of heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup freshly minced onion
1 medium tomato, diced
1 T minced garlic
Salt, Black Pepper, and Cajun/Creole seasoning to taste
Parmesan cheese, if desired

First heat your skillet on medium high and add the butter. Let the butter melt almost completely.




Then add the minced onion and garlic and simmer until the onions are golden and translucent.






Next, pour the pint of heavy whipping cream into the skillet. Note that I don't really ever measure my ingredients exactly hence the mason jar.



Allow the heavy whipping cream to thicken and bubble. Stir occasionally and place the heat on low. Season with salt, black pepper, and Cajun/Creole seasonings.



Add the diced tomato.


Add the crawdad tails and cook just a little more until the tails are heated.



Finally, place a mound of angel hair pasta on a plate and top with the crawdad cream sauce. Add additional seasonings to taste and top with Parmesan cheese if desired.

5 Comments:

Karen said...

That is just cruel! You know how hard it is to find crawDADs here. The recipe and pictures look divine. If I ever convince the Rocket Scientist to move a bit further south....I will be all over this recipe.

Speaking of the RS. He read your book too. He really appreciated your story. Just thought you should know.

Kristi said...

I've never had crawfish before. I'm not a huge fan of lobster, so I'm not sure if I'd like them, but I have to admit that they look pretty yummy from your pictures!

Rob and Tiff said...

This looks like something you could make with shrimp too. It looks very yummy. Oh and can you really eat rolley pollies? I've never heard of that before. You are a brave woman!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Karen...Yes! Another CrawDAD lady! They are super delish...someone told me that up north you can buy crawdad's as fishing bait.

Kristi, They're not bad...like shrimp. If you like shrimp, you'll like these critters.

Tiff, I think this recipe would be good with shrimp. And eat rollie pollies...NO WAY. Not unless you're my kids. I'm already mentally scarred over my kids eating them.

Phoo-D said...

This looks absolutely delicious! We used to hunt for "crawdads" under rocks in streams and lakes when I was a kid. We would use them for bait and didn't usually eat them, but I've heard they taste a lot like lobster!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin