Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Texan, Texan,
Quite perplexin'
How does your garden grow?

With onions, tomatoes,
Peppers hot and sweet
And overgrown cilantro!


When venturing into my garden this year be aware that my garden...heck my whole backyard...will smell like this:



Yes, that's right. It will smell like my Mexican...er Hispanic...grandfather's house.

What? You still don't know what I am talking about? You see that green lacy plant with puffy white flowers is actually a very common ingredient in salsa, but as I have found out requires a learned taste--cilantro. Me--I love it! My youngest--he chomps it up like a horse. Actually, when he wants a snack, he just ventures out into the backyard and chews on it.

Really.

And then there is my neighbor named Argentina who is originally from Guatemala that is more than welcome to as much of it as she wants. The reason? Because the two tiny plants I allowed to grow over the winter have not only survived freezing temperatures, but have grown so tall they are now taking over not only their spot in the garden, but also the jalepenos' spot as well.





And that's why I allow my youngest to chomp on it.

How does your garden grow? Or does it.




Tip: If you plan on growing cilantro in your garden or a pot this year, be aware that whole coriander seeds will produce cilantro. Coriander is the seed and cilantro is the plant. You may not need to purchase any seed packets at all if you already have whole coriander seeds in your spice cabinet.

10 Comments:

Chef E said...

Oh how I adore cilantro! A group of us were talking this weekend; either you love it, or you absolutely can't stand it! I of course would bath in it if they would come up with a good recipe :)

What beautiful photos of it too, you should enter this into my 'Friday Shoot Out' group...

Amanda said...

I'm over here from Christy's blog from WFMW and your long post in response to her "glory of herbs" post. Thanks for the tips, esp. the coriander/cilantro - I never knew that! I have a terrible habit of killing everything I try to grow - maybe it's worth another shot :)

Screwed Up Texan said...

Chef E, What's funny is that I wrote this and then saw your post for the "Friday Shoot Out."

I have some excellent recipes involved cilantro. Avocado salad, fish, bean soup, and more.

And as my youngest has learned, freshens the breath too.

Amanda, thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really didnt mean to leave such a long comment...the caffeine got the best of me. I definitely would give cilantro another try...and if you've never grown rosemary try it too. You'll never go back to the store stuff.

I must warn you, home grown herbs are more poignant than store bought ones. Start with a little.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Love cilantro, love jalapenos, love home made salsa. Oh to have a garden like that. You're a lucky lady!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Yes, but you're luckier Mindee! Getting to chill with Racheal Ray herself!

KMDuff said...

I don't know that the coriander in your kitchen spices will grow, it is usally irradiated and such. Would be interesting to find out! Have you tried it?

Love cilantro. My kids eat it and parsley and basil all the time.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Good question KMDuff. I must answer that so far both the coriander I've planted from Walmart and the Dollar Store germinate. Now the other stores, I can't attest. But Walmart and the Dollar Store YES. At least for me.

Karen said...

I just want salsa now!

Shirley said...

Thanks! Wow funny all the cilantro I bought died in the pot..I'm planting some today maybe I'll have too much later on (if there is too much)I first encountered cilantro working with a spanish lady at a local b&b at first I couldn't stand to deal with it or smell it now I can't live without it.

Becky said...

I love cilantro. Always put more more more in my hot sauce. Mmmmm,the flavor!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin