Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, May 8, 2009

A Flower and a B



I know an older woman in her seventies that keeps me on my toes. She looks at least ten years younger than she is and this fine lady is one of the most articulate people I have met. She is graceful, poised and highly intelligent. A half-century may separate us in age, but this woman I would choose as my companion on a long road trip. Perhaps time has wisened her...but aged her no. I hope I look and act at least half as well as she does now when I am her age.





There are just some people in life that stand out more than others. A few people make more of a positive impression upon you than others. My fifth grade teacher was one of those that made a remarkable difference in my life. From the time I entered elementary school I was granted several art awards for my work. Once, I remember painting a bluebonnet as ugly as I could just because I thought the teachers were only picking me because they felt sorry for me.





In the fifth grade, I entered our Scholastic Art Contest and painted a watercolor still life for their theme "New Beginnings." I had worked really hard on it, but when finished I thought it was the ugliest thing I had ever made. My teacher knew better and drove me during lunch back to my trailer house, made me crawl through my living room window and retrieve the painting. I am grateful to this day that she made me do that, because not only did I go on to earn Grand Prize for my artwork, but I also gained self-esteem. I believed in myself.




Ms. Naughton was a huge blessing and definite flower among thorns.

This seventy something year old woman though...she is one firecracker! As dainty and well-mannered this woman is, boy can she surprise me! My case in point: The last time I spoke with her, she called herself the B word. I'm serious...you know what word I am talking about.

THE B Word.




I guess some flowers can still surprise us! However, that doesn't make them less of flowers...sometimes it just makes them more sweet.

Oh, and blackberry starts with a B too. Hopefully these things will be ripe soon.

5 Comments:

Expat From Hell said...

So does Brilliant. Great post, and a great tribute.

EFH

Chef E said...

Brilliant photography, and 'B'eautiful artistic license to the story...

We have something else in common, as you stirred my memories!

tcyarbs said...

I love how you weave your artistic talents around your insightful, thought provoking posts. I love reading your blog!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Bravo!

Screwed Up Texan said...

EFH: Ah Shucks, thanks! You must be brilliant for coming up with another B word.

Chef E: You too. I left you a plaintain fritter recipe on your blog.

TCYarbs: I am so grateful for readers like you! Thank you for the kind thoughts!

Mindee: See that...another B word. Anyone else? Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin