Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Creamy Watermelon Pie


It is now officially the season of Hot in Texas and to honor this unique season found in the south and southwest I have decided to introduce you to one of my favorite desserts:

Creamy Watermelon Pie.

It's full of flavor and high on nutrition. It is also high on sugar, but never mind that...it's got to taste good in order for you to eat it and therefor be good for you. I'm just sayin'.

And if you do decide to make this pie for your family, church event or other get together...I can almost guarantee you no one has heard of it. Unique...yet good it is. Perfectly chilled for a hot summer day.

Screwed Up Texan Creamy Watermelon Pie

2 cups of cubed or balled watermelon chunks. I prefer to use seedless watermelons.
1 cup sugar
1 package cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 drops of red food coloring (completely optional)
1 prepared graham cracker crust
2 cups prepared whipped cream for topping (you can also use cool whip)

Whip sugar, cream cheese, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and food coloring together until smooth and fluffy, about two minutes.

Using a spoon or rubber spatula, fold in watermelon.

Spoon mixture into prepared graham cracker crust and top with whipped cream. Chill for at least one hour if possible or just eat right away.





You'll probably opt for eating right away.

16 Comments:

Amazing Greis said...

OMG! I'm totally trying this recipe out. Texas summers are definitely HOT, HOT, HOT and this may hit the spot.

Who am I kidding, it's not just TX summer's that are hot, it's year round hotness!

Thanks for sharing.

Candance said...

That looks so good and I might be able to pull it off since it requires no cooking! We'll do it sans the red food coloring since Max and I would both swell up and break out into a rash if we used it.

Mindee said...

As soon as we get to hot - and have decent watermelon - I am making this.

Screwed Up Texan said...

I think we determined on Twitter last night that Sara Lee didnt know what they were missing. lol

Y'all will definitely love this recipe. I am making more this weekend. Husband is upset at me and the boys as we ate the last of it for breakfast. Bwuahahaha!

LoveFeast said...

How unique! I have never have seen this before! Anything with graham cracker crust is always good to me! -Chris Ann

Shellgirl said...

Ooh, I didn't realize the watermelon was in chunks! How very clever you are, missy!

Shellgirl

Screwed Up Texan said...

Love Feast, Y'all should try it for one of your love feasts! It is so easy to make and very unique indeed.

Shellgirl, the chunks provide for just the right amount of texture. Very delicious dessert!

Michelle Hoad said...

I love watermelon, so I have to try this one.

Lorilee said...

Oh, that looks scrumptious! I will have to give it a try!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Chef E said...

Oh man, I have never had this! I love the pink color, and can imagine it was very refreshing!

Paige said...

That looks perfect for trailriding/camping weekends. And lower carb than most desserts--I am going to try it!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Michelle, You absolutely should try it. It is a favorite around here.

Lorilee, If you do, let me know!

Chef E, I never heard of it either until about 5 yrs ago. I've since lost the orig recipe, but I made up my own a couple years ago.

Paige, I am sure if you made it with splenda (nobody hit me now) or a more natural sweet ingredient it would be even healthier. Wait, I dont think Splenda is very healthy. Go with turbinado.

tara said...

This looks fantastic!! I was introduced to you from The Love of Baby and have become a new follower!

I just read your whole story and will be waiting patiently for the next installment. I couldn't leave my computer seat until I was done reading everything!

Sara Bonds said...

Now THAT looks amazing! Oh Em Gee! My mouth is watering just looking at it.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Tara, I am so glad you stopped by! I publish once a week and the entire story is available via Blurb.

Sara, It IS good! It takes only about twenty minutes to make and is gone almost as fast.

Ingrid said...

You're right--I have never heard of watermelon pie. I can hardly wait to try it. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin