Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bargain Shopping



So, I went to Kroger, a grocery store, to buy fruits and vegetables the other day. I usually pick Kroger over the other food stores, even Walmart, because they tend to have really great prices on their fruits. I loaded my buggie with four pounds of strawberries, squash, navel oranges, carrots, and cantaloupe.

While picking out my cantaloupes to bring home, a lady next to me seemed to be having a difficult time picking out a cantaloupe for herself. The problem she was having was that the cantaloupes were still green having come from Guatemala. So, I picked up a nice round, unblemished cantaloupe and handed it to her. I pointed out why I picked that one and then told her to leave it on her counter or in a paper bag and it will ripen within three to four days. You'll know it is ripe because the outer rind will turn yellowish and it will smell sweet. Then I spared her the misery of this joke:

Why couldn't the melons get married? Because they cantaloupe.

Now usually when I go to Kroger all I will purchase is fruit. This time though as I scoured the store for more bargains, I saw something that I have ate before, but have never for the life of me cooked. At the price of $1.49 a pound I just could pass these critters up either--they're regularly $5.99 a pound. I really wasn't sure what percentage I was saving, but I knew it was more than 50%.




I sort of felt like my husband's grandmother, Beth. Beth will make a trip to the local store and come back with a menagerie of items she picked up. She'll be so proud of herself that she will be beaming. The conversation usually follows:

Beth: "Look I just saved 90 percent!"

Someone else: "On what?"

"Paintballs."

"But Grandma, why did you buy paintballs? You don't need paintballs."

"But I saved 90 percent."

"Yes, but you don't have a paintball gun."

"But I saved 90 percent."

"Okay, Grandma."

I felt like Beth the other day...beaming and proud of myself for saving money--even if I had no idea in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks what I was going to do with the crawdads.

Then I turned to Twitter for help.

To be continued...

9 Comments:

Kristi said...

Wow! You're brave. I'm not sure I could cook those guys. Excited to see how you did it!

~Jamie said...

haha I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Expat From Hell said...

Go get Marguerite at Cajun Delights (http://cajundelights.blogspot.com). Tell her you got a mess of mudbugs and let her go to work...!
Looks delicious to me! I think Lone Star Park is going to have a big pile of them this weekend...Enjoy!

ExpatFromHell

Chef E said...

We used to fish for them with bread on a string as kids! The one thing, well of many, I miss about Texas is the all you can eat shrimp and crawfish suppers at local joints on a Sunday afternoon!

Cute post!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Kristi...well, let's just say it was very interesting...

Jamie, It was very good...

EFH, I will be checking your link out.

Chef E, I had no idea you could do that with crawdads. What a fun thing to do with kids! And yes, all you can eat shrimp/catfish is my fave!

Rhea said...

Oh, how exciting!

I knew you had to smell cantaloupes to see if they were ready. And press in where they were on the vine. We love that in our house...and they have good nutrients like veggies...the only fruit that does.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Rhea, yes smelling them is the best method by far. You can also tell when they've gone bad that way too, :)

Did not know that about the nutrients.

hintonrae said...

We used to fish with them, as well. I can't wait to see what you've cooked up, though--I'm sure it's tasty! :)

Lori
hintonrae.wordpress.com

Phoo-D said...

One of my Mom's standard jokes is: "Cantelope tonight, dad's got the car." =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin