Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, April 10, 2009

Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs



One of my favorite activities during Eastertime is dying and decorating Easter eggs. I usually dye my eggs the same way as everyone else with food coloring and vinegar. However, this year I decided to dye my eggs using natural dyes after reading Phoo-D's recipe for Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs with Botanical Designs. I could post directions here, but I think I'll give credit to Phoo-D for posting this clever project.




Here is how I differed from her recipe...I used two cups of mustang grape juice to create a bluish and pink design. One egg turned a greenish blue color with this dye. I steeped the hardboiled eggs for 20 minutes in the hot juice with added vinegar. I also picked one cup of fresh dandelion flowers and steeped in two cups of hot water for twenty minutes. I then strained the flowers out and added one teaspoon vinegar and steeped the hardboiled eggs for one hour to create a bright, primary yellow hue.

Good luck and Happy Easter. Recipe HERE. Check out Phoo-D's blog for mouth-watering, delicious recipes!

7 Comments:

Phoo-D said...

Your eggs turned out beautifully! I love the dandelion and mustang grape colors. How cool. Thanks for the link-back. It was fun to "follow along" with you this afternoon. Have a very happy Easter!

Kristi said...

Those turned out really pretty!

Screwed Up Texan said...

I had fun too Phoo-D! Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks Kristi! They were fun to make! Now, what should I do with all the leftover hardboiled eggs....deviled eggs and chickensalad sandwhiches?

Carol @SheLives said...

How cool! I love the natural look.

Happy Easter to ya!!

unconfidential cook said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, and please do come again. Your eggs look beautiful, too! I'll be back...

Rhea said...

That is SO cool. And the eggs look beautiful! Very nice. I'm impressed.

Screwed Up Texan said...

These were so much fun to make! I may try another craft project in the future using natural dyes...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin