Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Screwed Up: Kicked Out


To read this story in its entirety, please visit HERE or purchase my book HERE.

I was fifteen when I was basically thrown away like garbage.

The day started as any other day. I got up and went to high school in the morning and went home to my best friend's home to hang out. Dee and I had met each other a couple months earlier--it was my sophomore year in high school and her junior year. We usually hung out at her apartment after school and talked about boys, food, and shopping. We loved going on walks together to the store or to the jogging park a mile away. Sometimes we rode the bus home, sometimes she drove her mother's red Geo.

It was a cold, wintry day that late November afternoon. Dee and I had decided that we wanted to hang out some more and walk to the shopping center several blocks down the street. Hanging out with my best friend, Dee, was my only retreat from my step dad's hateful and unapproving wife. She was always critical of me, telling me I didn't have any friends and telling school officials I took drugs when I did not. So, the plan was that I was to go home and ask if Dee and I could hang out for a couple more hours.

I had never been told no before, so this was going to be easy, I thought.

When I got home that afternoon, there was an uneasy feeling in the air. This was not anything unusual, but today it was different. I don't remember who I asked, but the response was, "Not tonight, we are going out as a family to the movies."

Going to the movies as a family? Wow, that was something so unusual and far out that I almost couldn't believe my ears! In that one moment, I was so happy to finally get the chance to be like a normal family and do something together like "other" families did. I called Dee up and let her know what was going on--I was going to the movies and I'd see her in the morning.

My step-father's wife then left with my younger brother to the store to get some candy for the movies...or at least that is what I thought.

I was standing in the dining room, looking out the back sliding glass doors, when I saw the reflection of a man standing behind me. Then I heard the words, "Are you Allie?" and the sound of a radio. That's when I knew something awful was happening. I turned around and in the next few minutes, my life was changed forever.

Apparently, my step dad's wife had gone to the nearest payphone and called the police to report me as a runaway. The fact is that I hadn't done anything wrong--the fact is that she hated me. For reasons unknown to me, other than she was jealous that my step dad loved someone else other than her and her children, I had finally upset her.

The officer sent me upstairs to fill a backpack with some personal items.

To be continued...

11 Comments:

lmt1073 said...

AHHH, you're killing me...

I am in pain for you and what you had to go through.

Richard Reeve said...

...very powerful and a wonderful demonstration of courage. In our stories, in the shared awareness, are the seeds of all teaching...

Kristi said...

Eek. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, Allie. I only hope you found some measure of peace when you were with our family. Love ya!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Tomorrow, I am continuing this post. I want y'all to know that without your support, I couldnt have come out of my shell I talked about this. This weekend I will try to figure out how to compile these in a place easily accessable. Until then, I will see ya tomorrow.

Karen said...

Leaving a person hangin' like that is not nice. OK, it's you story, so tell it however you like.
I'm just saying, I'm all about the happy ending. My heart breaks for you. You are amazingly strong.

oddharmonic said...

What a scary situation to put a young person in! I look forward to reading more of your story -- from what I know of you, you've turned out to be a great person.

Simply Dee said...

I remember this... That was my second year in the US. I think, other than the ESL students, you were the only person who was interested in carrying on a real conversation with me. You were really my best friend. My highschool life wouldn't have been the same without you.

You never told me about how horrible your childhood was though. Maybe you did, I just didn't know what crack was back then.

I just remember that you were so positive, and that you cracked jokes using your weird sense of humor all the time.

Maybe I can visit you in Texas before school in Aug. What do you think?

Screwed Up Texan said...

Dee, I'd love to visit with you anytime! You were my best friend too and I was sad when I had to leave our school, but happy when you transferred to my new school. I agree, life would not have been the same without you.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Everyone else,

May I also add that I just saw a Chris Brown ad here and I want to say right now that I have no control over what ads are displayed on my blog. If need be, I may have to discontinue the ads and only provide paid advertisement spots.

Miss T said...

just starting your story and cannot stop reading!

Danielle-lee said...

I have a feeling I will be typing this a lot tonight, but I mean it each and every time: I'm sorry.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin