Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Laundry Monster and My Solution


My question: Why does it always seem that as soon as you've finished washing and drying and folding the laundry that there's always more laundry to do?

If you're anything like me, by the time you get around to actually washing the clothes, there is a pile so high that it literally looks like a monster if you stare at it just right. You know, like looking at a cloud and imagining it looks like a ship or pig. Except there are no frozen droplets of ice formed together to make this monster. In the cloud's space is a loosely formed pile of shirts, pants, undies, blankets and sheets resembling a five headed monster (one head for each member of the family). Each time I walk by it, I am sickened, scared, and overwhelmed. Worse yet, the Laundry Monster beckons me (well, maybe just me) to procrastinate further to not battle it. It scares me.

Then there is my special case of laundry horrors. Not the horrors of washing reds with whites or drying ink pens and crayons with silk and chiffon, but the horrors of actually having to put the laundry away. Once I do decide to tackle the Laundry Monster and wash and dry the piles of clothing in my room, then I must fold the laundry--except I hardly ever do it. Instead, the clothes and blankets get piled in laundry baskets and Rubbermaid totes. The sheets, pillowcases and towels almost always gets stacked on the couch in my room (this was supposed to be my reading couch) and the only clothes that actually get put away are mine and my husband's.

My reasoning (aka big excuse): I don't dare put my children's clothes away as my kids seem to have the most annoying habit of changing their clothes every thirty minutes and then throwing said clothes on the floor in their bedroom. So, in their bedrooms lay two completely empty dressers and two empty closets. I finally had it one day and never returned the kids' clothing back to their rightful places. Instead, there my kids' clothes are in my bedroom staring me down in an eternal Wild West draw. It's me against the clothes.

My solution?

Close my bedroom door and forghettaboudit!

Anyone else? Just keepin' it real.

6 Comments:

Steph at The Red Clay Diaries said...

Well, as you know, I totally relate.

I read one blogger who actually put her kids dressers IN the laundry room. She puts the clothes there and makes them come in there every morning to get them. Works for her.

My latest solution - at my husband's urging - was to get 5 different little baskets and put each person's laundry in them. (NOTE: I don't really fold. I pile. And all shirts and skirts get hung up.) Then the kids have the daily job of checking their baskets in the laundry room, then if they're full, the kids have to put the clothes away. And bring back the empty basket.

But I might only take the trouble for all of this because I don't have a couch in my bedroom.

And now that I think about it, that's a good reason to never get a couch in my bedroom.

Karen said...

Ya know.....when it comes to this topic, you and I are almost identical twins. Difference is 4 kids, no couch but two chairs. One of these days I'm going to get caught in an avalanche of clothing, never to be seen again.

kristi said...

LOL, I was just complaining about this very thing yesterday!

Hohni said...

We have an extra couch that seems to fit four piles of laundry on it just perfect. One pile for each of us!!! The only thing that gets put away in our house is the pile of towels!!

Screwed Up Texan said...

I am so glad I am not the only one with this problem. It really makes me feel so much better. It really makes me feel so much better about the two new piles now creeping out of the laundry room...

Rhea said...

I hate laundry. It's neverending and frustrating. And like you said, most of it ends up on the floor.

UGH

I hate folding and putting away. That's the part I suck at.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin