Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Screwed Up: A Childhood Razed


This is one of the homes I grew up in as a child. It was razed a couple years ago. I think it should have been razed several years ago.


Although this home has been demolished, I still remember it quite well. It was an older home--probably built in the 1940s or 1950s. The outside was painted a sunwashed sage green and rose bushes grew along the perimeter of the home. We rented it from a local invester in town...the same town I currently live in. I have so many memories that connect me to this town and to this home. Whenever I drive down this street, immediately my mind is flooded with thoughts from a time now mostly forgotten by most.



Although this town has changed dramatically--my memories remain the same.

We enjoyed some good times at this home. My cousins did not live too far away and we usually just walked to their homes to visit. Grannie and Papa lived on the property behind us and were just a run to the other side of the pasture.



I remember the time it snowed six inches while I was living in this home. Snow in these parts is unusual. My brother, sister and I enjoyed playing in the snow and throwing snowballs at eachother. We played in the snow drifts and built a snowman. We fastened the snowman's eyes with two driveway gravel rocks.

I also remember the many occasions my siblings, cousins and I would get locked into the back bedroom for hours while my aunts, uncles and parents would drink beers and do drugs. Crack was the thing back then. Yah, I had a lovely childhood.

I wasnt supposed to tell anyone.

I'm gonna add it to the book.


10 Comments:

Hohni said...

Whhhoooooohhhh!!! Didn't expect that at the end of the post...Most people have the capability to make a baby, only the special ones can be called Mom and Dad!!!
Everything you've been thru has made you the woman you are today. STRONG!!!!

lmt1073 said...

ugh, i remember childhood days like that! kinda sucks but made us into some pretty strong women in the end!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Isn't it astonishing how incompetent parents can turn out capable children. And vice versa?

Congrats on overcoming adversity!

Richard Reeve said...

Powerful sense of memoir. Love the images of what not there, and how evocative your story is in relation to missing pieces. Thanks for sharing...all stories are important.

Karen said...

Wow....What beautiful pictures. Total suprise ending. It is amazing how life can break you or make you. Honey, you are making it.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Thank you for the comments of support. Glad y'all like the photos. More like these to come.

Anonymous said...

funny how several people can live the same life and all have different versions of reality. somewhere among all the stories lie the truth.

Paige said...

This is going to be fascinating, I can tell--I cannot wait to catch up

Danielle-lee said...

I found you through Violence Unsilenced (your blog name caught my eye). I too live in North Texas.
I am fascinated already. I will be up all night catching up.

Homesick Cajun said...

I read your entire story in an hour, I couldn't stop reading! You're an inspiration to me girl. The strength that you have is amazing to me! You're my new hero lol!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin