Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Human Experience: Growing Up


A month ago, I was laying on my back deck, soaking in the warm rays of the sun and dreaming about the future, when suddenly it hit me that in no time at all I will be thirty and much more will be expected out of me as a mother, wife and person. For some reason, I have always thought of thirty-year-olds as more mature, wise and independent.

Is thirty a magical age?

As a person, living amongst other mothers, wives, neighbors, and leaders, I must grow up. It is all a part of the human experience. I have to and isn't personal growth what we all desire inherently?


As a child, I desired to please my parents and gained confidence as I did so. As a young woman, I desired to please myself and gained confidence by conquering the world on my own. As a wife, I desire to please my husband and I gain confidence as he praises me. As a mother, I desire to teach and raise my children with confidence and when I see them grow, then I am filled with pleasure.


So, while I have a difficult time grasping with growing older, inevitably I must. There is no point in fighting it. There is no reason to run from it. I must embrace it. Moreover, the more I grow, the more confidence I gain.

6 Comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Really? Because I'm thinking that I'm just going to lie. ;)

Karen said...

30 is not a magic age....just so you know. The magic age is when you wake up and decide you really like yourself and you are OK if everybody else doesn't agree. That starts in your 30's, but my friend tells me, you get the most out of that in your 40's. Honestly, I thought I had that in my 20's but it turns out it gets much better with time. I guess your right. It all boils down to confidence. You are so insightful.

So when's your birthday? Don't leave us hangin'

Screwed Up Texan said...

I dont know what it is with me, but I've been waiting to turn 30 for a couple years. Actually, I dont turn 30 for another 1 1/2 years! My birthday is Jan 1st.

But if you'd like to send me an early birthday present, you are more than welcome to. :)

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Wait until 40 comes around, bringing along a bottle of Miss Clairol. In my mind I'm still around 25, but the mirror has a different opinion. Mirrors are liars.
:)
Fun post, btw.
Cathy

Heather said...

Don't worry I didn't feel mature until I hit, oh wait I still don't feel mature! I'm 36. I always said I would grow old gracefully and last year I died my hair and I'm considering getting a lifestyle lift even though I don't need one! I am more confident though and growing more so with each new birthday.

Happy Belated Birthday!

Katy said...

Funny you mention 30 as magical. Here's a fun little blog about being 30
http://awomaninherthirties.blogspot.com/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin