Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Dreamy Creamy Cupcakes

I love food...who doesn't? Every once in a while, I come across a lovely and delicious recipe that deserves a note. My oldest son was ill this last week and as I sat in the waiting room at his pediatrician's office, I saw an issue of Family Circle magazine with a photo of some lovely spring cupcakes on the front cover. After asking the receptionist, I tore the recipe out of the magazine and neatly folded it and placed it into my purse.

Then I forgot where I put the dang recipe.

I searched high and low. I checked everywhere. I blamed my kids for taking it. Then I blamed my husband. Then suddenly I had an epiphany and remembered that I had placed it into my purse, telling myself at the time that I would not forget it there.

Of course, I did not find the recipe until after I tweaked a couple other recipes I found online.

This is what I came up with:


Oh, they are oh so dreamy and creamy...my tongue coated in sprinkly delight.

So here,
Have some cheer,
Spring is near,
Get your rear in gear,
And make these dreamy, creamy cupcakes!

Ingredients:

Cake--

3 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 c butter or margarine, softened
4 eggs
1 T vanilla
1 c milk (really good time to use that powdered milk no one will drink)

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl; set aside. Using electric mixer, creme together the butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Beat in flour mixture and milk, alternatively. Pour batter into lined cupcake pan and cook...well, I cant exactly remember how long...but I'd say about ten to twelve minutes. You better watch in other words. Allow to cool completely before frosting.

Easy Marshmallow Frosting--

Ingredients:

3 egg whites (save the yolks for breakfast scramble)
2 1/4 cups sugar, granulated
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 T vanilla
few drops food coloring
3/4 cup boiling water (hint: use teapot)

Method:

Using electric mixer, beat all ingredients together except boiling water on low speed. Add boiling water, all at once, while on low speed. Turn mixer to high and continue to beat until peaks form (believe me, it will get there). Spread with spoon or pipe onto cooled cupcakes. Let your kids lick the bowl and whisk. Decorate as desired--I used sugar sprinkles and jellybellies.

It's pure, indulgent heaven. I made extra for my husband's coworkers. Celebrate spring!


8 Comments:

Mrs Parks said...

Can't you just mail me a box of them????

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

That frosting recipe looks terrific. I may have a weekend project here.

Kristi said...

Mmmm. Yummy! I made pioneer woman's chocolate sheet cake last weekend and had Janece's family come over to help us eat it. There was still half left, and of course I ate it all up over the next couple of days. Needless to say, I've banned myself from making sweets for the rest of the week. I'll have to wait till next week to try this one out.

Screwed Up Texan said...

I'd send y'all some cupcakes if I was certain they'd ship!

I may attempt to make some rice krispie treats with the marshmallow recipe. It tastes just like marshmallows...and I even cooked some of the frosting and it puffed up like a marshmallow and tasted like one. I'll let y'all know how it turned out.

Now that almost everyone I know has made Pioneer Woman's sheet cake, I'm gonna have to try it. Maybe I'll frost it with the marshmallow frosting....

suzanne cabrera said...

Beauuutiful. I think you may have perfected the art of the cupcake!

edgar cabrera said...

Way to go teaser! Now I want a cupcake this late at night! Yummy!

Rhea said...

damn. Damn, damn, damn. Those look SINFUL.

I'm trying so hard to resist desserts...and failing.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Alright y'all, time to go make some more desserts. Is it obvious I have a very sweet tooth?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin