Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Brotherly Love

One of my favorite things to do with the family I helped to create is passing our time together. This last weekend we did just that by spending an afternoon at the lake. The weather was nice, the sun was warm and bright, and it was just what the kids needed to release some stored up energy.

I couldn't help but imagine how the golden sand seemed to sparkle like sugarcoated gumdrops. So soft and natural it felt between my fingers.


In between moments of my rough childhood, I have many fond memories of spending time at the lake or out in the natural landscape. Whether it was hiking, camping or visiting with family, I remember many family outings at the lake. Those experiences in my childhood shaped my love of the outdoors and of nature--I want my children to have those same good experiences and the same love for this naturally inherent beauty as I do.

Running on the shores of the lake and letting the waves break in their path.


Drawing in the sand and forming brotherly bonds that cannot be broken.


Discovering names from the past. People that were once here too written nearly permanently in the sandstone.



Finding hidden forts or homes as this is probably. Some people do not have homes and must live where the wind takes them...I want my children to understand they've got it real good.


But most of all, I want my children to have fun. Even if that means finding an old tanned fish head and pretending it is a shark.


3 Comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I have a lake like that! I spent my summers ther as a kid and now I love to take my own kids. In this world of far flung families, that lake feels like "home base". A touchstone for different generations.

Karen said...

I love that you have found the good from your childhood to share with your darling boys. You have a talent of being so poetic. My children don't realize how good they have it, even though we try to explain and give them opportunities to share with others who need.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Mindee, I totally know what you mean. I too see the lake as a sort of "home base" that anchors our family. We've been trying to instill in our boys a love of nature, outdoors and family bonding. I hope it lasts.

Karen, thanks for the compliment on me being talented. It is nice to see others feel the same. I like the reassurance (my head gets bigger...).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin