Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

What I Remember On September 11th



When Cowboy and I first married, we lived in Colorado Springs. I was so lucky to get to sleep in every morning. I usually got up around 9:30 AM or so and did the usuals--clean our apartment, go grocery shopping, cook, chat with the neighbors, walk, et cetera. However, one particular morning was different.


It was a sunny late summer morning...I was sleeping peacefully in my bed when all of the sudden I heard a very loud knock on my apartment door.


"Allie, get up...GET UP!"


I was dazed and a little confused, but I knew it was my friend across the hall from me. She had startled me and I wondered what was going on.


"We're under attack! They blew a building up!" I heard Marie yelling.


"Hmmmm? What are you talking about? Whose apartment is on fire?" I asked.


"No! LOOK AT THE TELEVISION. The United States is under attack!" Marie frantically screamed at me.


I couldn't believe it at the time...but I remember it with great clarity. I remember the day our nation was brought under attack by selfish and fanatical religious zealots. It was September 11, 2001 and these terrorists had murdered my fellow brothers and sisters in cold blood. They had vainly started their own fiery furnaces to Hell.


I don't think I took my eyes off the television all day. When Cowboy returned from work that afternoon, it was the first (and followed by many more) time Cowboy was not met with a warm plate of food for dinner.


Our nation responded by going to war in Afghanistan and Iraq. I have a brother-in-law, Middle Child, stationed in Iraq now. People's lives were changed. My life was changed...Cowboy and I moved to Wyoming to be closer to family. Hanna, WY...imagine Afghanistan, but cold. Well, maybe not a good analogy.


What do you recall of September 11th?


2 Comments:

Kathy said...

I worked Tour 3 at the Post Office, so I didn't go into work until 1:30pm. I had just gotten up, turned on the tv which was right next to my first computer. I was just wondering when Arnold Schwarzenegger was going to save the day. I didn't realize this wasn't a movie!

Allie said...

Now that is classic!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin