Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Five Things I Wish I Would Have Known When I Was Younger


Say what you mean and mean what you say.

This would have come in handy when I was angry and said mean things to those that I loved. Sometimes you can’t take back what you have already said. It is hard for others to forget harsh words.
This suggestion also implies that we should have integrity. "Mean what you say" is equal to the phrase "Do what you say you are or aren't going to do."

Sometimes you don’t get a second chance.

I pushed others away from me…especially when I was younger. There are certain others that I wish I could still be close with. Something that I struggle with even to this day is the thought that my life could be different if I would have dealt with my life differently when I was younger. I will never get the chance to change those days.

Cherish Every Moment with loved ones.

My sister, The Peacemaker, tried to instill this into me the last year she was alive. I did not really get what she was saying until this last May when she passed away unexpectedly. We lived only four hours apart, but only saw each other a couple times a year. I am glad that we were able to spend time together this last January at Turner Falls, Oklahoma. I will have great memories of that time forever. However, I will never see her or hear her again. I wish I would have spent more time with her.

Talk less; listen more.


Sometimes we need to be still and listen to others—whether they are friends, family, acquaintances or complete strangers—they may need you. When was the last time you quietly pondered and meditated your greater purpose?

You cannot truly love others until you truly love yourself.


Don’t try to fool yourself otherwise. I didn’t love myself as a teenager and I therefore was not able to express my love towards others. How do you love yourself? Through serving others. As you give of yourself through service and kind deeds, you will learn to love yourself.

3 Comments:

A Mac said...

there is even stuff i wished i did when i was younger, even though i am still pretty young. their will always be regrets no matter what you do!

Anonymous said...

I would like to add one more to your list: "If you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all."

Allie said...

Doncha just love Thumper!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin